Monday, November 17, 2014

3 Things I Learned About Communicating With a Language Barrier

When I was in Mexico and since I have been back, I have been confronted with the reality of communicating with a language barrier.  Sometimes this results in a laugh...or it can result in frustration.  But, rarely, will it turn out as it would if the two of us both knew the same language.

Here are three things I have learned about communicating with a language barrier:

  1. Just go with it.  If you're like me, you may want everything to make sense and flow nicely together.  This likely won't happen, and that's okay!  Your conversation may go in a different direction and end up being better than you thought it would :)
  2. Google translate isn't as smart as we'd all like to think it is!  When I translated high school to Spanish, it told me it was secundaria.  Well, that would actually be middle school in Mexico.  High school is preparatoria.  Try explaining that one in Google translate!
  3. This may be one of the most amazing things you ever do.  I am serious.  In Mexico, it provided much amusement.  At home via the internet, I have been immensely blessed to stay in touch with many of my Mexican friends.  The language barrier has definitely helped make some memorable instances! :)

Here's the deal, don't let the language barrier scare you!  It's really not that scary.  It can be fun.  It will be a blessing!  And as an added bonus, you might even learn more of the other language.


---

I plan on writing more about Mexico very soon!  And, I have some special guest posts for you soon too :)

1 comment: